Tuesday, May 3, 2016

It's May already? Here's what's going on in my life. Health, crafts, fun stuff, garden, etc...




Check these little guys out. I have a big Aloe Vera plant on my front porch and these cute little lizards really love hanging out on it to bask in the morning sun. There are two in the photo, one is being sneaky and peeking out from behind a leaf. These lizards are everywhere around my house, and I enjoy having them in the garden.

So recently we've had some heavy rain storms in the Houston area that caused devastating floods, several people even died and many many people had their homes flooded. We live south of the area that flooded so we just got an awful lot of rain. Some of my garden plants were stressed and a row of tomatoes developed some kind of wilt disease. But things do seem to be growing. I need to do serious garden maintainence soon, but I don't really feel up to it right now.

Why? Well, I came down with shingles about ten days ago. It's affecting my right arm from shoulder to fingertips. The rash is only from my armpit to wrist, but the pain and weakness is affecting my entire arm. So it's kind of hard to do much. I'm a rightie, and not having full use of my right arm and hand has really limited me. Thankfully I got on the antiviral medication early enough and I'm getting well fairly fast. But the pain is still pretty bad and there's only so much I can do with my hands before I have to rest.

Also, it looks like I possibly have lupus. Which scares me but answers a lot of questions I had about my health. When I was coming down with shingles my primary care doctor did a very thorough set of labwork including an autoimmune panel. I have multiple positive autoimmune results, specifically the one for lupus. I also have enough of the diagnostic symptoms to give a positive diagnosis. But my primary care doctor doesn't want to officially diagnose me and has referred me to a rheumatologist, who I go see towards the end of the month. There's definitely something going on with me in an autoimmune disease context though.

I've still been working on crafts and living my life as normally as I can. I've been working on crocheting a circle jacket and making pocket letters for a pocket letter swap.



Sorry about the crap quality of the photo, but I have a video up on YouTube about this project, my April pocket letters for the swap group I participate in. I really like making pocket letters and swapping them. It's kind of fun.

Speaking of crafts, in a couple of weeks registration opens for this years Creating Keepsakes Convention in Houston. I'm not staying at the hotel and doing the entire weekend this time. Too many copays and bills towards my insurance deductible because of the health issues blew my fun budget for the summer. But I do get to make a day of it and take a few classes and go to a crop and browse the vendor hall. Last year I crossed one of the things off of my bucket list by attending the entire weekend and staying at the event hotel. Maybe next year I can do it again, maybe even in another city?

That's about it for now, I've typed about as much as I can type right now, I need to rest my hand so I can crochet later on. I'll be SO happy when this has ran it's course. Shingles is absolutely no damn fun and especially on the arm of the hand you use most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment