Monday, February 20, 2012

Guest bedroom to sewing & craft room transformation - complete!

This is the end result from transforming my guest bedroom into a sewing and crafts room.  There are only a few minor things left to do, but it's fully functional and mostly decorated. I have a wall-mounted magazine rack coming in the mail that I will use to hold patterns and such. I also want to make a curtain for the window because I really don't like the dark navy blue miniblinds so much. And also a skirted table cover for my work table that will match the curtain. With a skirted table cover, I can stash baskets or bins of stuff under there for easy access without it looking cluttery. Here are photos of the room so far:


Worktable:  It's actually bigger than it looks in the photo, plenty of room to work on. Eventually I'll replace it with a more sturdy wood table, but for now this heavy-duty folding table works just fine.



Storage Closets:  Behind the curtains, are where I store my sewing and some of my craft supplies. The one on the left has my fabric stash, all my sewing machines, patterns, thread boxes, notions, etc... The one on the right has my scrapbooking and papercraft tools and supplies, along with all my knitting and needlecraft stuff. The little chest between the closets is a jewelry armoire with all my bead and costume jewelry.




Armoire and corner rack:  My dad got me this big old armoire back when I was a teenager, and it works perfectly for storing projects waiting to be worked on. It's got a couple of rods going from front to back to hang things that need mending or altering. And space below for things I'm just starting on. Also a nice big mirror to try things on and check the fit. The corner rack holds decorative stuff, a clock, an aromatherapy diffuser, and a little radio so I can have music while I work.




Comfy chair:  I moved one of the chairs from the living room into the sewing room so I have a nice comfortable place to sit and work on hand sewing, knitting, crocheting, and browsing through books and magazines. The old nightstand became an end table, and I found an old framed poster in the closet that I had way back when I lived in my first apartment that went with the other colors in the room.




All in all, the room came together really fast once I got the bed out of there. I sold the headboard, gave the mattress away, and donated the linens. The only things I bought were the corner rack, the radio, and the fabric for the closet curtains and window valance. And the money from the headboard more than paid for those things. So, it didn't cost anything really, and only took a little bit of work to complete the transformation.

I wind up going in there to work on something most every day, so the only regret I have about doing this is not having done it a lot sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment