Thursday, May 24, 2012

Crocheted purse in progress - bottom section complete.




I found a pattern that was very close to the kind of purse I want to make, except larger than I wanted. The pattern calls for two strands of yarn used together and a larger hook. My crochet guru told me that I could use one strand and a smaller hook and get a proportionately smaller bag, so that's what I set out to do.

I'm using inexpensive cotton worsted weight yarn on a cone, in bright white. And a size H hook. I started with a G hook, but that made a denser fabric. I wanted a more open and mesh-y texture, so I went up a hook size to get the look I wanted. I'll be lining the bag in white twill, so all the little holes won't be a problem. The bag includes a button flap, so I found this white ceramic button at the craft store that I thought would be perfect for it.

I completed the oval bottom, and am just starting to build up the sides of the bag, It's worked in the round, although not in a continuous spiral, you chain and start each new row. The pink marker notes the last round of the base, so I won't lose track of how many rounds to go up before it's time to stop. Although, with this bag I think you could make it as tall or short as you wanted.

By the way, here's the pattern link:  Crocheted Circles & Stripes Tote Bag Pattern

It took a few tries to get the hang of crocheting in an oval, but once I figured out the spacing of the increases and paid close attention to my stitch markers, I was able to complete the bottom section. The sides will be mindless crocheting, just row after row after row of double crochet rounds to make a tube.

After the sides, there will be the flap, strap, and a pocket for the outer back part of the purse. Although I might make the pocket a square instead of a circle as the pattern shows, or even not put the pocket there at all. It all depends on how long it takes me to get the body of the purse and the flap completed. But I like external little pockets on my purses to hold my phone and keys, so it'll probably be worth my while to include it.

No comments:

Post a Comment